Tuesday, December 09, 2003

I'm bored... again! My cousins are having their exams, my nephew is busy with his marriage preparations, my parents are busy discussing the economics of buying a house in India, and the cricket has stopped for a while... leaving me to sit here in front of an ancient pentium1 80Mhz comp with a 56.6 k modem, writing my blog, while being forced to donate generously to the MAK (Mosquito Association of Kolkata... a subsidiary of the Mosquito Association of India), and being seized by sudden bouts of the sniffles... . Gloomy Day!

My nephew (who is 27 i think) is getting married this year. He stays in London but he wants a proper bengali wedding and my cousins are CRAZY with the preparation! The wedding is (as far as I know) going to be beside a lake, with the groom coming in by boat, and the girl coming by palanquin... and i have been nominated as a possible palanquin carrieer( I'm not exactly thrilled by the prospect, but it should be fun so I'll give it a shot anyhow. ). Whether, the marriage ceremony is going to be on the huge river boat that has been rented or on dry land, I don't know...but it should be quite an experience.

One thing that IS unusual (maybe not so much now... and defiantely not unusua lin my family) is that it is not an arranged marriage, but a love marriage. My grandma was always liberal, and her thoughts were way ahead of her time. She did soo much for the people of this city! She set up schools to educate women, and she set up a handicraft company for the poor. And she wasn't educated and nor was she exactly drowning in wealth. The house seems so empty without her... so very empty... .

I miss you grandma... .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home