Friday, May 12, 2006

I am so tired today! I kept waking up last night, think I woke up a total of 4 times I think, I kept thinking that I overslept, so I would wake in a sort of panic, only to check my watch and realize that I had a lot more time and that I could sleep a bit more. This did tire me out though, and as a consequence, I did oversleep! I woke up at 610 when I should have been up by 550. Luckily, as per usual practice, I always keep everything ready for the next day, and hence, though I had to skip my bath, I still managed to leave for work on time at 640. Though we have flexible hours here (meaning we can come to work anytime from 7-9 am, as long as we work the required minimum 8.5hrs a day), I did not want to make my cousin late for work (she had a meeting at 7, and she drops me to work).

Work’s been pretty good so far. I am learning quite a bit, and I am using things I learnt in school this past sem, like soil investigation reports, foundation design and compaction calculations. I am also doing things that I have no idea about, like sewer design. Conditions and codes are very different from Singapore, due to the different types of soil and environmental conditions here, but my supervisor is pretty good and encouraging. He spends quite a lot of time explaining things to me. The work culture here is definitely more relaxed then in Singapore: Although the deadlines are still there to be met, the people go about things in a more controlled, efficient manner. Also, there’s a long weekend almost every alternate week, thanks to the extra half an hour worked everyday( you’re actually required to work only 8 hrs a day, but by working 8.5, you accumulate the half hour, so that you can take the extra day off after 2 weeks).

Unfortunately, as a result, today was also boring. I was one of 6 people who were here to work today, and 3 of those just left (including my boss). The rest were out enjoying their extra day off. Ah well…next well is another long weekend: its a public holiday here on the 22nd. Think its Victoria Day or something. So not long to wait before my first holiday working in Canada. 

Weather here is pretty changeable. In the mornings, the temperature is anywhere between 0 and 6 degrees, sometimes, on unusually warm days, it can even hit a sweltering 8degrees! :p It changes in the afternoon to about 13-18 degrees. Which is a very comfortable temperature. The air is dry, Relative Humidity being only about 70%, and there is a constant wind blowing. However, things can, and often do change drastically without almost any notice. Last Tuesday, when I went to watch my little niece play soccer, it was a nice sunny afternoon, warm enough that I didn’t really need to wear my jacket. Yet, 10mins into the game, some clouds came in, the wind picked up and within literally minutes, I was left with my Jacket fully buttoned up, and my teeth actually chattering (and loudly too), and feeling like some human Morse code machine! Sun sets around 9-10pm at night, and has usually risen by 5-530 in the morning.

Lunch has been sandwiches bought here from the food court downstairs. Its expensive to eat out here, with the least that I have spent for food being $4.20. GST is a whopping 7%. Will be making my own sandwiches from next week onward.

I also joined the University gym here. Its 8 min cycle from my cousin’s house, and is pretty well equipped. Cost 53.50 Canadian dollars for use till beginning of July, after I convinced them that I was a Singaporean student (Otherwise, it would have cost a massive $75 per month!), which I did using my drivers license. Went for my first work out session last night and it felt SOO good! Also went jogging the night before, and I can tell you, honestly, that this has to be the most scenic cross country route that I have ever been across. The route involves running on a ridgeline, overlooking a river and with a clear view to the Rockies beyond! I’ll try to take some pictures and post it up when I can.

In the meantime, here are some pics of my Cousin’s house and the views from it, as well as soccer practice for my nephew and niece. Hope to be cooking this weekend. Treat (hopefully not poison) my cousins :p . Also have plans to go for an Indian classical concert, learn to play golf, go skiing, and hiking in the mountains. Dunno how many of that will actually happen though. We’ll see 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home